Friday, July 29, 2011

You Win All The Points

Trying to get tickets to films at Era New Horizons is like playing a video game! You start with points. Points are deducted each time you see a film. If you miss a film you are signed up for you lose points. If you don't cancel a ticket you lose points. Tickets are able to be reserved early in the morning the day before the screening. But people seem to sit. And wait. And you watch as the little hourglass spins your fate and the number of tickets available quickly flickers up and down. If you are lucky there is no error. If you are unlucky there might be an error. Or worse. The ticket is gone! It is nerve wracking. And I am not winning. I got 2 tickets. But Brent is losing worse. He got one. And then another he didn't really want just to feel better.

I like how democratic this system is, barley giving preference to anyone at all, but it seems really strange to be in a film festival and not be able to see many films? It is also an odd feeling to be able to see how many tickets to your film are remaining! Yesterday we sold out, then didn't, then did, then didn't, then finally did sell out the 450 seat theater in the local multiplex theater Helios! The projection was huge and beautiful, when I snuck in at the end I sat next to woman weeping into her scarf and the Q&A was filled with poignant, interesting questions including my favorite: Who is Leonard for you? Such a beautiful way to think of this film and filmmaking in general. Also, I just got an inside tip on showing up at screenings right before they are to begin and pouncing on abandoned tickets! YAY! Movies for me! Points deducted for ticket abandoners! Wait...and for me since I lose points seeing films? Hm. MOVIES! YAY!