Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sundance: Things I Totally Missed, People I Saw

With all of the running around that Sundance brings you end up missing a ton of stuff. And seeing a ton of people. And you just generally enter a weird haze of darkened movie theaters and inhuman waking hours! There were a bunch of film-folk I met out in Utah that I really loved, and a lot of work that I missed out on seeing, both of which I want to recognize in some way!

I didn't get a chance to see any of the shorts programs but...I DID get the chance to see possibly the BEST short: Don't Hug Me I'm Scared (above) by the British based This Is It Collective. A charming little song with a dark cute style that reminds us to think creatively until the bitter end...! I met some of the minds behind this as they rocked party after party, even leading a sing along on a post-Awards Party bus from what I hear!

Terence Nance's film (with the much coveted title of) An Oversimplification of Her Beauty was one I got shut out of in a wait list line- even after the sweetly nice director tried his best to get me in...! An experimental portrait of modern love, this one looks like a pretty tale that could make for a great story, hope I get to see it eventually!

Brent somehow only saw two films at Sundance....and one of them was The Pact (short trailer above). Which he really liked! Which is weird since he doesn't really like horror! Even despite my efforts to share my love of the genre with him! But maybe it had something to do with Brent going ghost hunting with the film's director, Nicholas McCarthy, and also with Don Hertzfeldt & David Zellner...? I don't know what that was all about but I think it has something to do with an online Sundance related tv show? More info when I understand....Horror-wise I also missed v/h/s (a unique outline of a story about men hired to retrieve film footage met with a dead body and a mound of videotapes, each tape made up of horrific shorts by different directors) and Room 237 (a compilation of conspiracy theories about the movie The Shining!).

I also had two separate, funny encounters with two unrelated, Danish directors both named Mads; one the director of The Ambassador (who sat in front of me in a movie theater and, out of the corner of my eye, I saw reading this here blog!!!! Which lead to me accosting him in my own not-so-suave way of course...) and the other (a festival award winner with his feature Teddy Bear) who nearly sat on me at an overcrowded party where I had a prime couch seat! Yes, the fun, (literally) small world of Sundance! And, also, I'd like to apologize to (the incredibly beautiful, stunning, talented, mega film star) Juliette Binoche: Brent Green interrupted you at that festival programmer house party because he a) didn't know who you were and b) assumed that since you were so pretty you would have no trouble finding a person to talk to who wasn't his friend that he also wanted to talk to....again, Sundance: a microcosm of film unreality!