Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"the house isn't a ship Leonard"

As I mentioned before Gravity is based on the story of two real people, Leonard & Mary, who lived near Louisville Kentucky. I never got to meet Leonard but a friend of a friend did who gave us this envelope of some letters belonging to him. 

When I was going through them today I found them particularly sad when I realized most of them were written well over a decade after his wife died but before he sold the house meaning he was in this house he built all alone contemplating God and music and the loss of his true love for years. He was faithful and hopeful throughout even after all of the losses he suffered. 


On a brighter side though, a lot of these letters were written on the back of diner placemats so I'd like to imagine Leonard at least got out a bit, maybe ate well...or at least well enough...