Sunday, February 6, 2011

Doei

Today is the last day of the International Film Festival Rotterdam. What a long, strange trip it has been! When we were at the Svankmajer exhibit the other day we actually got to meet the festivals Artistic Director, Rutger Wolfson. After giving a few words to a small crowd of people he sort of ambled around lowering his seemingly 10ft tall stature to view the collages running around the walls. I forced Brent to say thank you to him for asking our film to be a part of this great festival and, as Brent spoke Rutger said " You're the voice!" (recognizing Brent as the films narrator) and then, upon seeing me, "You're in the film!" recognizing me from Gravity as well! It felt amazing to have the person in charge of the entire festival not only recognize but also praise the film you worked so hard on!


After speaking to Rutger for a bit it was clear that he loves the festival. He urged me to see certain things and talked of the brilliance of so much of the program. I don't think I've ever met someone so down to earth (so down to earth that he could be seen riding his bike around the city from activity to activity) and truely excited about the work they are doing! This is also true for the Texan film programmer Ralph McKay who introduced & managed a Q&A about Gravity and who we hung out with at various times in Rotterdam, a man so excited by film and interested in what he does that I can't imagine him doing anything else. Except maybe dancing...Ralph was loving the dance out there in The Netherlands! I am so glad we got to have this experience and I hope we can come back for another edition of this awesome festival at some point in the future! Goodbye Rotterdam! Goodbye!