Monday, January 21, 2013

Filmmaker 20+

The wonderful Filmmaker Magazine, a "Publication with a focus on independent film, offering articles, links, and resources." is celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year! And as part of the festivities they are commissioning a series of 20 essays regarding the future of cinema in a series called "20+".....and by some strange twist of fate I was commissioned to expand on a recent blog post as part of this series! The article, titled Rise of the Neuro-Eye, appears in the latest issue where I discuss everything from drone robots to Vertov to Neurocinematics and, after re-reading it when it arrived in the mail today, I am actually pretty proud!

Recently a blog reader accused me of not supporting a "cinematic language" and (after rolling my eyes) I realized that I definitely do support the language of cinema but, also, that I think we need a bit more discussion to happen if this language is going to flourish, especially since I think the digital film revolution is changing the standard of what this language is...With this being said: I encourage you, dear readers, to respond to my writing, to comment more, to call in to my radio show- we can form an awesome new scholarship of cinema and, in the amazing 20 year tradition of Filmmaker Mag & especially the series my essay is a part of, we can pave the way for a new way of talking about film!