Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Prized Liberties of Iowa

So, I completely missed out on the Iowa City screening due to a fierce temperature complete with chills AND sweats! I sort of feel bad because I really like going to these theaters in small cities and walking around the area and all....and each theater is always a little different! The Bijou theater is a non-profit run by the students of the University of Iowa and, starting this semester, provides FREE screenings to all students! What!? That is pretty incredible! When I was in college those extra dollars to see a movie really did make a difference between eating and not eating so much so that one friend went to the first day of every film class, got a syllabus and compiled all of the free class film screenings into a schedule for all of us film lovers to sneak in on (a tactic that I recommend to every college student). Apart from the free factor, their schedule is pretty top notch; classics, indies, foreign films- where else could you see Terminator Saturday night and Gravity the next with a bunch of new release indies in between? Ok, back to my sickly Big Sleep (a film which I'm pretty sure I saw while sneaking in on a film noir class screening)....tomorrow Cleveland bound for a Tuesday screening, let us hope the scenery has a little more variation than these recent road photos!