Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm Sorry You are Sick of My Love of Houston

A friend of mine kept telling me to go to Domy Books. I didn't think our schedule was going to allow but, while attending the pre-Vegas wedding bash for a kick ass lady of Diverseworks, we happened to park right in front of the store! A comprehensive compilation of everything one could want in a book store- art books, zines, Maya Deren DVDs, even a yard to screen movies late into the evening! Big thumbs up and love to the seriously knowledgable yet unpretentious staff too!

Later that night Brent and I stopped by the opening night event of the Houston Cinema Arts Festival located inside the breathtaking Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. The main gallery when you first walked in had this amazing showcase of some of my favorite modern artists- a giant Rosenquist! A huge Calder mobile! So wonderful! It reminded me instantly that we should be so grateful to be allowed to make art &film and that I should never, ever forget the intensity that it can, and should, have.

We rounded out the evening at some weirdo 24 hour diner with the husband & wife filmmaking duo The Walleys! Hailing from San Antonio they create short documentaries that are expertly crafted. The editing of their films just pulls you along into the stories of their subjects and the music cushions the beauty even more! I really think they are a team to keep your eye on! Hope I can make it out to their showcase this weekend at the festival, in addition to all of the other fine events going on- including our Friday & Saturday live screenings!