Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Trees Sort of Grow There Now


The first time I ever went to Brooklyn, NY as an adult I climbed into a giant white mini-van with my good friend Brendan and drove in to see a tiny band play in the backroom of a bar called Pete's Candy Store. As I moved between a little tin roofed stage, a christmas light lit backyard and a warm cozy counter to the tunes of the beautiful duo The Malarkies I made the decision to move as soon as I could. Pete's, which is located in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, is pretty perfect so when Jamie Hook (a man of many talents including producing Guy Maddin's live show Brand Upon The Brain when it took place in NY & being the founding director of the Seattle non-profit Northwest Film Forum) asked me to ask Brent if he'd participate in a lecture series he was curating at Pete's I said yes before even asking Brent! Come see Brent lecture on Gravity Was Everywhere Back Then & watch me drink some warm, wintery cocktails next Monday at 7:30pm! Also, here are some ancient cell phone pics of my last Brooklyn neighborhood which happens to be right near Pete's (Concidence? Of course not!)- hope you can make it!