Friday, June 3, 2011

Zurich is Stained

Zurich!  El Lokal (the venue we played in Zurich) is quite possibly the single best venue in the world. The atmosphere, food, respect, programming (The Mekons are coming! The Mekons are coming!), all exactly what one looks for in a musical experience.  I don't know how they manage to be so cool but, I think it has something to do with the enormous skeleton dangling from the ceiling and the professionalism & nicety exuding from everyone involved. Even the audience was so responsive and encouraging despite our genuine nervousness at performing such a stripped down show since Howe was unable to join us as originally planned. Brent, me (who wasn't even on the bill but did manage to play some melodic Melodica and a bit of foley since Mr. Gelb was a no show) & Jim had an insane bonding experience as we played the hugely improvised show in this perfect Swiss setting!


Jim, playing to the shorts for only the second time, banged out sounds beyond the imagination! Everytime I tell him he is the best I think he thinks I am kidding. I am not. He is like three musicians in the disguise of a drummer. Judging by the way Jim was dancing towards the end of the night and the fact we watched the craziest movie of all time (Papillon. What the hell was that?! Also, what the hell is this site devoted to prison movies?!) whilst drinking tea on a transcontinental flight I think we had a good enough bonding experience (and a good enough performance) to maybe do some more shows with him in the future...? (Crosses fingers!)


After the show the venue presented us with a board mix of the performance...but not just any board mix, a 16 track mixable recording on a usb stick that is also a beer bottle opener! Yay! I told you this place is great! This great venue has also started producing a big new magazine too! The current issue featuring a cd & seven inch of music, recipes from their delicious kitchen and interviews with both local & touring musicians- there is some talk about adding a Brent Green short film to the next edition which I hope comes true! So, if you didn't already get that El Lokal is an awe inspiring venue let me tell you about the fried goat cheese....yes. Fried goat cheese. I am ready to go back to Zurich now. Thank You.