Tuesday, June 1, 2010

an African swallow

Live foley is a weird thing! It makes me feel like the hobo of the band with my box of noise making trinkets & sometimes it feels like my efforts can't even be heard (and if they are, do coconuts really sound like horses?). Compiling my Gravity foley kit sent me searching for a way to make a non-digital telephone ringing noise which led me to find an encouraging site for foley artists: The Well Tempered Audio Dramatist! Apparently, back in the day, live foley artists were treated as actors mainly due to their necessity and their sometimes flamboyant displays of sound effect making. They joined acting unions, built elaborate kits and had many, many tricks of the trade! I think my favorite being the on-stage door-in-frame complete with an array of locks, knobs, creaky hinges and the ultimate: the door slam! All of the travelling involved in our live shows makes these over-the-top props unlikely but a girl can dream! Unfortunately I'm still at a phone ringing loss...and taking apart this phone did not help...at all...