Saturday, September 18, 2010

Midwestern Windmills

On the road to Iowa City, where Gravity will be screening Sunday night with a Q&A with the director, we have somehow ended up in a little Danish Village called Elk Horn. Yeah. You heard me. A DANISH VILLAGE! With an imported windmill and everything! It looks like the Iowa City film folks embrace this (unexpected) local Danish culture too through their annual Landlocked Film Festival whose program is spotted with Danish shorts & features. Looks like a pretty great fest all round! When looking up the local film scene in Iowa City I also stumbled upon a few other  film -centric fests (some of which seem defunct?) which somehow managed to steer me back to my new fascination with a certain cinematic midwestern town and it's Jane Film Festival! If we weren't on the road I would totally be volunteering at this years's fest! Support women in film! And Danes in film! Also support Scandinavian pastries for breakfast!