Friday, February 19, 2010

the barn


At this point I don't even remember most of the reactions when I told all my friends I was moving to a barn in Pennsylvania to make a film. I think there was a lot of skepticism and general disbelief- the particular curator who introduced Brent and I warned "Don't move to the barn!" far before I was even considering! But, here I am! Still alive and still in a barn and almost finished with the film! The Nervous Films studio set up is actually kind of amazing and I can't believe I am often forgetting that...


The studio is a 250 year old (renovated) barn! Most of it is chaotic studio space but a small section is a one room apartment that was once a horse stable and which, currently, is also chaotic studio space that we happen to sleep and eat in! The stone basement is mostly used as a woodshop. The large main area has everything from tools to old sets to instruments to an in process 16ft high 12 ft wide wooden drawing/lightbox that depicts a scene from Gravity. (It also has a small corner of my own studio space which is pictured below! This is also the part I hit with the car, what can I say? I'm the worst driver ever!)...and, of course, you all know what we've been doing with the barn yard! The talented Ben Liddle took the above photograph of Brent at the baby grand piano for a magazine article on the film- I think the photo happily sums up the wondrous messiness that is Nervous Films barn studio!