Tuesday, March 16, 2010

let's go fly a kite

Today I set out to make a prop for one of the few small scenes we're filming to round out the first edit of Gravity Was Everywhere Back Then. The building started with me stepping on a piece of plywood with a three inch screw sticking out of it sending it right through my shoe and right into my foot. Not the best way to begin a project! After a band aid and a change into some work boots I headed back out to make my bird trap.... As I mentioned before my character in the film collects bird eggs for a living so I had this idea that she would attach a birdcage to a kite and lure them into a new home in addition to her trap door birdhouses. To film a kite in stop motion means two kinds of wire, a 16ft 2x4, some drilling, some metal cutting, screws and a lot of patience are needed instead of just wind! At least the weather is back to being a breezy pre-Spring mild so there's no kite flying lightning fears but the nice weather has awoken the neighborhood gun enthusiasts with the echoing Appalachian trail making them sound dangerously near!