Sunday, December 5, 2010

Lights, Camera, Action!

I think that Hollywood audiences probably watch films differently than in any other place in the world, making the feel of the hundred or so people sitting in front of us at The Silent Movie Theater last night an odd assortment of brightly lit dreams and critical apprehension. But, when the credits rolled a huge applause came at us in such a way that made me really excited to have shared our film with a group of film enthusiasts, actors, animation lovers, musicians- all of the people who make & love the movies! I feel like I am constantly saying the phrase to Brent "As a film nerd, you wouldn't appreciate (fill in blank here)" and last night I felt at home with my people!
I also think that's why The Cinefamily is a perfect community to exist within the borders of Hollywood. Their mission statement starts with the very reasons that I love film, especially independent film, so much; acting as communal, creative expressions teaching new ways of being & seeing. I am excited to have shown our film in such a historically loaded film spot too, (a place complete with film archives, an organ hailing from the silent movie days, headshots of early screen classics, a backyard with antique film mechanisms, the art deco fervor of the beginnings of the film world) continuing the next step in the tradition of cinematic arts! Thanks to The LAAF for having us! And please, support your local independent movie theater- movies can change the world, ask for more than explosions!