Thursday, April 7, 2011

Master of the Melodic Drumroll

Okok, I'll tell you- our drummer for the Chicago live show (coming up on April 16th) is none other than (drum roll ever so fittingly please).....Jim White! Yay! I remember listening to Dirty Three when I was a teenager and having a sudden musical understanding: "O! Drums ARE instruments! With tones! And textures!" A thing I had never realized before, mostly due to the fact that my drum knowledge consisted of whatever the passing marching bands bombastically played during parades.


Then, suddenly, I could always tell when Jim White was playing in any band! He was an actual musician, with his own style! And musical ideas! This new found realization that the rhythm section of a band is so much more than that had a huge impact on the way I listen & make music...a realization that I think definitley adds to my own (novice) foley/sound work that I have been doing for Gravity! So, yes, I AM a bit nervous to play any kind of percussive instrument in front of my childhood idol of percussive instruments, thanks for asking! (practices hitting tin can...with more passion!)


Here is a video, made by the studio of our friendly acquaintance Braden King, featuring the awe-inspiring Dirty Three including the newest contributor to the Gravity live soundtrack on drums! Also, here is a picture of Troy NY where we will, sadly, be leaving tomorrow after part of an amazing, ongoing residency at EMPAC!