Friday, November 4, 2011

The Snow Visits Us

I thought about scanning in the posts I've been writing down on paper...what do you think? Can you even read that? (Here is where the cat declares war on the pen! It's decided, I must type as well!). Maybe I should get a typewriter? Eh?

All this time without power made me pick up a few books I've been meaning to get to. First, I started reading the new Rin Tin Tin book, given to me by a publishing friend of mine from my old days at the office! Thanks Laura (Laura, who can apparently be seen being held at knifepoint in this goth rock opera film by alt-horror lady Lisa Hammer!)! The book is by Susan Orlean (author of The Orchid Thief who was lovingly? meta-ly? satirized? universalized? in Spike Jonze & Charlie Kaufman's amazing film Adaptation) and as a film nerd I am loving the way she describes early Hollywood! A place of dreams, opportunities and canines where stars were plucked from crowds (or like Rinty, plucked from a WWI battlefield!) and hundreds of movies were churned out of studios at record pace! Even if you don't like dogs (and you should like dogs! Look at them!) this book is also a great cinematic journey of the early film industry, complete with flowery descriptions of silent film productions! Can't wait to finish it!

I also started reading Gravity's Rainbow, did you ever notice how filmic Pynchon's writing is? He edits like a movie- so vivid you can almost envision a shot list for every single word! This book is so dense with, well, everything, I can't even begin to describe! I wonder if this rumor about the first film adaptation of his work is true? His writing is so thickly cinematic I don't know how it can ever translate to the real thing? I am also reading a lot of backlogged National Geographics too! Who wants to know about the Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum? Anyone? It was an era that naturally released as much carbon dioxide into the air as we are about to! Resulting in drastic environmental warming & species alteration! Spooky....Ok, well, there are my film related (not including the science magazines!) readings for these times of no power and little else to do! Note: I will keep reading despite the sudden return of power!!!!